Asst. Editor/Writer - Detroit Red Wings.com - Detroit Red Wings (Detroit, MI)
Responsible for assisting the Senior Content Producer with written stories and multimedia for DetroitRedWings.com and other digital channels. Written content includes comprehensive game previews, post-game recaps, player, coach and front office features, breaking team news, community, marketing and youth hockey stories. The Editorial Assistant will also take a primary role in writing features, news stories and game coverage for ancillary sporting events hosting by Olympia Entertainment including College Hockey in the D and the Horizon League Basketball Championship. The position will have access to press boxes, media credentials and may occasionally travel to road games with the Detroit Red Wings. This position may have access to sensitive and confidential information and will only use such information as directed.
· Write, edit and improve content for DetroitRedWings.com
· Interview players, coaches and front office personnel for published content
· Cover Red Wings community and foundation events
· Provide coverage for Red Wings games, College Hockey in the D events and Horizon Basketball Championship games as assigned
· Actively contribute to the content strategy for Red Wings social media and associated team publications
· Proof copy on informational web pages for DetroitRedWings.com
Supplemental Job Functions:
· Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or other relevant multimedia discipline.
· Minimum of (3) years experience in reporting, writing or editing, preferably in sports
· Must be a prolific editor with solid understanding of grammar and punctuation
· Self-motivator with ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines, produce quality high volume work and multi-task.
· The ability to professionally interview athletes, coaches, front office personnel
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) and proven experience with a content management system.
· Ability and eligibility to travel to Canada or other countries as requested or assigned with the appropriate legal documents (i.e.: passport).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Experience with hockey environment and culture
· Understanding of the National Hockey League and the Detroit Red Wings
· Experience with entertainment marketing
· Ability and willingness to work long and unpredictable hours on weekdays, weekends and holidays
· Position will involve travel and adherence to corporate travel policies
· Position will involve working in an arena environment with varying temperatures
· Position may involve moving or lifting equipment that weighs up to 25 pounds
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a colleague encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.